Wyoming PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Wyoming insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a resident of Wyoming
- Have not committed any act that is grounds for denial of a license pursuant to the Wyoming Insurance Code
- Pass the license examination
- File a license application and remit filing fees
- Submit fingerprints
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the Wyoming Insurance Candidate Handbook, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Applicants must read each lesson before they can proceed to the next lesson.
- Passing Score: PreLicense.com suggests students pass PreLicense.com's Practice exam with a score of 70% or higher.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: The Practice exam does not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
The Wyoming Insurance Department does not require a PLE certificate of completion.
State Reporting Requirements
The Wyoming Insurance Department does not require PLE course completions to be reported.
License Application Process:
1. Register for State Exam: Candidates must go to www.pearsonvue.com/wy/insurance to make an online reservation for an examination.
Material required at Test Center:
- Two forms of current Signature Identification:
- A Primary ID ( such as Driver’s License, military card or Passport)
- A Secondary ID ( such as SS card, Debit or Credit Card)
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
2. After passing the examination, apply for your license by contacting the Wyoming Insurance Department. For more information regarding obtaining a license go to http://doi.wyo.gov. Please note that the application process must be completed within one year of passing the examination. The NAIC Uniform Application form can be found at https://www.nipr.com/html/nrlWelcome.html.
3. Fingerprint Requirements
Wyoming requires that candidates obtain a criminal background report from the Wyoming Division of Criminal Investigations (DCI). Please click here for more information.
The Wyoming Insurance Department will send a fingerprint packet to the candidate once they have received the licensing application. The packet will contain instructions and cards. Candidates will need to make arrangements with DCI to have their fingerprints taken. DCI will send the report directly to the Wyoming Insurance Department. Applications will not be processed until the criminal history report is received.
New Resident Producer Requirements
If you are moving to Wyoming and wish to qualify for a Wyoming license without taking an examination, you must:
- Apply for your license within 90 days of the date your previous home state license was terminated.
- Previous home state license was in good standing at time of cancellation
Ways to Apply
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Non-residents may apply by reciprocity and are exempt from the examination requirement, as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state.
Ways to Apply
Fingerprints are not required for non-resident applicants in Wyoming.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: Before selling LTC in Wyoming, licensees must complete an initial 8-hour training course by or before July 1, 2010. Completing training requirements in any state satisfies the training requirements in Wyoming.
Purchasing state-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Wyoming Insurance Department
106 East 6th Avenue
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (866) 936-7786
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.