PreLicense.com provides state-approved Pennsylvania PreLicense License Exam Prep with a money back guarantee! Satisfy ALL your Prep requirements at one low price with our online or paper courses!
Pennsylvania PreLicense Prep
Pennsylvania PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Pennsylvania state insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
· Be 18 years of age or older
· Maintain a business or legal address in Pennsylvania
· Possess the requisite professional competence, general fitness and integrity of character
· Be able to read and write English, with or without visual or mechanical aids for the visually handicapped
· Complete an approved prelicensing course of study (see prelicense requirements below)
· Pass a written examination and file a license application
PreLicense Education Requirements (PLE)
Applicants must complete prelicense education (PLE) for each major line of authority (LOA), as follows:
Life – 24
Accident and Health – 24
Life, Accident and Health – 24
Casualty – 24
Property and Casualty – 24
Personal Lines – 24
The Prelicense final certification Exam must be monitored by a disinterested third party (Proctors must not serve for examinations of family members, relatives, or dependents, or someone who has a financial interest in you passing the Prelicense exam)
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Applicants should thoroughly review the Pennsylvania Insurance Department Licensing and Examination Information Booklet, which contains the exam content outlinesand important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
PLE Course Delivery
· Per Pennsylvania PLE requirements, applicants are required to complete all of the lessons in the prelicense education course sequentially before they can be issued a certificate of completion.
PLE Course Exam
· Passing Score: Applicants must pass the PLE final exam with a 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion.
· The Certification Exam must be monitored by a disinterested third party (Proctors must not serve for examinations of family members, relatives, or dependents; employers or supervisors; employees or subordinates; partners, joint ventures, co-owners, or business associates; or for anyone in whom the proctor or instructor has an economic or other interest in assuring the successful outcome of the examination.)
Certificate of Completion
PreLicense.com provides online, printable certificates of completion in Pennsylvania. An applicant must meet Pennsylvania’s PLE requirements before a certificate of completion is issued. Certificates of completion are valid for 1 year from the date of issue.
State Reporting Requirements
PreLicense.com reports PLE course completions electronically to Sircon daily. The Pennsylvania Department of Insurance charges a $5.00 per name state roster fee for course completion reports. This state-mandated fee is included in the course price.
State Licensing Exam
Note: PSI and the Pennsylvania Insurance Department recommend that applicants complete the required 24 hours of pre-licensing education prior to registering for the license examination.
New - Effective 7/1/15, Prometric will no longer administer the license examinations. PSI will assume the role of examination provider.
Resident License application Process
1. Complete a Pennsylvania insurance pre-licensing course
Once you have completed your Pennsylvania insurance pre-licensing course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. The course is valid for one year from your date of completion.
Note: A disinterested third party (someone who is not a friend, family member, or financial connection to you) must monitor you taking the Certification Exam.
2. Make insurance licensing exam Reservation
You can make an exam reservation online or by phone, fax, or mail:
- Online: Visit www.psiexams.com.
- Phone: Call (800) 733-9267.
Check Test Center Availability By Visiting: https://candidate.psiexams.com/registration/displayagencylicenses_home.jsp
Materials Needed to Present at Exam Site:
· Candidates must present 2 forms of identification.
- One must be government issued Identification (photograph and signature, not expired)
- The second form of identification ((signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card)
· Copy of your prelicensing Certificate of Completion.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The passing score required on the exam is 70.
· As soon as you complete the exam, you will receive a score report that indicates whether you passed or failed.
Note: Each exam includes a mix of “pretest” questions and scored questions. The pretest questions are not identified throughout the exam, and the answers may not have been discussed in your education course. Answers to pretest questions will not affect your score.
3. Apply for a license and have your fingerprints documented
Once you’ve passed the exam, apply for your Pennsylvania insurance license at the kiosk located at your testing center. A Live Scan will be taken of your fingerprints, and both your application and fingerprints will be sent to the Department of Insurance. You must pay the license application fee and the fingerprinting fee at that time.
Note: If you leave the PSI testing facility without applying for your license, you will need to return to your PSI testing facility to have your fingerprints taken. You will need to show a copy of the application confirmation page when you have your fingerprints taken.
4. Print your Pennsylvania insurance license
Check the status of your application at www.insurance.pa.gov. Once your Pennsylvania insurance license has been issued, print it directly from the website.
New Resident Producer Requirements
New residents who still hold an active license in their previous home state will not be required to complete prelicense education or take the license examination as long as:
· the application is received within 90 days of their former home state license being canceled
· the license being applied for is the same line of authority as in the previous state
· obtain a letter of clearance from your prior home state
Ways to Apply
· Apply Online: Click here to submit your license application online
· Apply using printable forms: Resident applicants may apply using the Insurance Producer Resident Individual Application
Materials Needed to Apply
Applicants who wish to receive a resident insurance license in Pennsylvania, will need to forward the materials listed below to the Pennsylvania Insurance Department.
· Completed Insurance Producer Application
· Application fee and fingerprint fee
· Letter of clearance from previous home state
Pennsylvania requires that all new resident applicants submit fingerprints. Applicants will need to set up an appointment with PSI to submit fingerprints. Applicants must also bring the online confirmation page from Sircon and documentation showing that they are exempt from the examination, such as a copy of the clearance letter from their previous home state. Please click here for more information regarding the fingerprint requirements.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Nonresident license candidates may obtain a Pennsylvania agent license, without having to complete the prelicense education requirement as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state. In addition, nonresident license candidates are exempt from an examination if the applicant’s home state grants a waiver of examination to Pennsylvania resident license producers.
Ways to Apply
· Apply Online: Click here to submit your license application online.
· Please click here for more information, including fees.
There are no fingerprint requirements for non-resident applicants if they are applying under reciprocity (i.e. no prelicense education and no examination requirement.) Otherwise, if applicants are applying and do not qualify for non-resident licensing reciprocity, they will have to meet the same fingerprint requirements as residents outlined above.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: All producers licensed must complete an initial 8-hour training course on long-term care products prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Pennsylvania Insurance Department
Bureau of Licensing and Enforcement
1209 Strawberry Square
Harrisburg, PA 17120
Email: [email protected]
Website: Click here to visit the Pennsylvania Insurance Department Website
Web Site www.psiexams.com
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.