PreLicense.com provides state-approved Minnesota PreLicense License Exam Prep with a money back guarantee! Satisfy ALL your Prep requirements at one low price with our online or paper courses!
Minnesota PreLicense Prep
Minnesota PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Minnesota state insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Complete an approved prelicensing course of study
- Pass a written examination
- File an application and submit a set of fingerprints
PreLicense Education Requirements (PLE)
Applicants must complete Prelicense education (PLE) for each major line of authority (LOA), as follows:
Life – 20
Accident & Health – 20
Property – 20
Casualty – 20
Personal Lines – 20
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation applicants should thoroughly review the Minnesota Department of commerce Candidate Information Bulletin which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
PLE Course Delivery
- Prelicense education providers are required to record the actual time the applicant spends in the course and cannot provide a certificate of completion until the applicant’s time equals the number of required hours for the LOA and the final exam is passed with a 70% or higher.
- Applicants must pass quizzes at the end each lesson with a 70% or higher to proceed on to the next lesson.
PLE Course Exam
- Passing Score: Applicants must pass the PLE final exam with a 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion.
Exam Proctor Requirements: Important: PreLicense.com final exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party. (A disinterested third party, with a minimum age of 18 years old, who can be any person except for family members or individuals who have a financial interest in the student's success of the exam. Co-worker proctors must not be above or below in the student's line of supervision.)
Certificate of Completion
PreLicense.com provides online, printable certificates of completion in Minnesota. An applicant must meet the course delivery requirements before a certificate of completion is issued.
State Reporting Requirements
Prelicense.com reports PLE course completions electronically to Sircon daily.
License Application Process
1. Complete a 20 hour Prelicensing Couse
2. You will be required to supply a copy of your Pre-licensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
3. Register for your State exam online and check the test center availability by Visiting https://candidate.psiexams.com/ssl_login.jsp or by phone (800) 733-9267.
- Bring a copy of your Prelicense Certificate of completion
- A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
- A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
- Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- · Candidates must wait at least one day to schedule a retake examination. For a retake examination candidates must bring proof of prelicensing education and/or the failing score report.
4. Fingerprinting Process : It is strongly recommended that candidates be electronically fingerprinted at one of PSI Minnesota sites during regular testing hours on the day of the examination. Failure to get fingerprinted on the day of the license examination may result in the delay of the licensing process. Click here for fingerprint locations and fees.
5. Apply for your State License at Sircon Licensing.
New Resident Producer Requirements
The commissioner may waive all or part of the requirement for Prelicense education and examination for individuals in other jurisdictions if a reciprocal licensing agreement is in effect, the individual is currently licensed in that jurisdiction and the licensing requirements of that jurisdiction are substantially similar to Minnesota. Please contact the MN Department of Commerce and Insurance for more information.
Ways to Apply
- Apply Online: Complete the producer license application online at Sircon Licensing.
It is strongly recommended that candidates be electronically fingerprinted at one of PSI Minnesota sites during regular testing hours on the day of the examination. Failure to get fingerprinted on the day of the license examination may result in the delay of the licensing process. Click here for fingerprint locations and fees.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Nonresident license candidates may obtain a Minnesota producer license, without having to complete the prelicense education requirement or take a license examination, as long as they currently hold an active resident license of a similar type and are in good standing in their home state.
Ways to Apply
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Annuity Training: Before selling annuities in Minnesota, producers must complete a one-time 4-hour, state-approved annuity training course.
Long-Term Care: Before selling LTC insurance products in Minnesota, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Minnesota Department of Commerce and Insurance
85 7th Place East, Ste. 500
St. Paul, MN 55101
Telephone: (651) 539-1500
PSI Services, LLC
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.