South Carolina PreLicensing Requirements
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.
Major Lines of Authority Available
Life | Variable Life/Variable Annuity | Accident & Health or Sickness | Property | Casualty | Personal Lines
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a producer license, an applicant must satisfy all the following requirements:
· Be at least 18 years of age.
· Be of good moral character.
· Be free of any convictions of a felony or crime involving dishonesty fraud, breach of fiduciary duties, etc.
· Pay the required licensing fees.
· Be a legal resident of South Carolina.
· Pass the state examination for the line(s) of authority for which the application is made.
License Application Process:
1. Schedule an examination:
You can register online by accessing PSI’s registration website at www.psiexams.com or by calling (800) 733-9267.
Materials Needed to Apply:
Candidates must register for the exam with their LEGAL first and last name as it appears on their government issued identification. Required identification below must match the first and last name under which the candidate is registered. Candidates are required to bring one (1) form of valid (no expired) signature bearing identification to the test site.
IDENTIFICATION – Choose One
- State issued driver’s license
- State issued identification card
- US Government Issued Passport
- US Government Issued Military Identification Card
- US Government Issued Alien Registration Card
- Your score will be given to you immediately following completion of the examination.
- In order to pass the examination, you must achieve a minimum score of 70%.
2. All resident license applications require that the South Carolina State Law Enforcement Division (SLED) conduct a background investigation. Resident applicants for a new license only: Online through the SC DOI. There is a $25 fee for this report. SLED only accepts company checks or money orders. A SLED report expires 90 days after issuance.
ATTN: Central Records Depository
P. O. Box 21398 Columbia, SC 29221
3. Apply for License: apply and pay for your license on the Department’s Web site at www.doi.sc.gov.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
An individual licensed in his or her state of residence may obtain equivalent license authority in South Carolina by submitting all of the following to the South Carolina DOI:
· Nonresident applicants must apply online at http://www.nipr.com/.
· The license fee is $25 and is not prorated, is nonrefundable, and is nontransferable.
· Home State Certification
· If license status cannot be verified on the State Producer Licensing Database (SPLD), certification from the applicant’s home state will be required.
· Proof of FINRA Series 6 or 7
· If the applicant is applying for a variable contracts license, their FINRA Central Registration Directory (CRD) number must be on the application.
Licensing Requirements for Producers Relocating to South Carolina
Applicants for a South Carolina resident producer license who are relocating from another state in which they are licensed are required to file an application and pay required fees but are exempt from the licensing examination. The application must include a “clearance letter” issued by the insurance department in the applicant’s former home state.
· Licensed producers moving to South Carolina from another state use Application Form 3506 (South Carolina Application for Individual License)
· License fee of $25
Note: A nonresident producer who moves from another state to South Carolina must file a change of address within 30 days of moving.
State Licensing Exam
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the South Carolina Department of Insurance Candidate Information Bulletin, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Methods of Registration
To register or to schedule an examination, applicants must register directly with PSI, the exam provider, through one of the following:
· Online through the PSI Web site, 24 hours a day, or
· By calling 800-733-9267
Materials Needed to Present at Exam Site
Candidates must present one form of identification which bears your signature and photograph. Identification must match the name used to register for the exam.
For information about your exam:
· Content Outline—The Examination Content Outline is available online from the PSI Web site.
· Test centers - Click here for a list of test centers.
State Exam Passing Score
Candidates must pass the state licensing exam with a 70% or higher to file a license application.
Important: Each examination may only be taken 6 times in a one-year period. Passing examination results are valid for 1 year.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: Before selling LTC insurance products in South Carolina, producers must complete an initial 8-hour LTC training course.
Annuity Training: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
South Carolina Department of Insurance
1201 Main Street, Suite 1000
Columbia, SC 29201
PO Box 100105
Columbia, SC 29202
Phone: (803) 737-6095
Email: [email protected]