Oregon PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Oregon state insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a resident of Oregon or have principal place of business in Oregon
- Complete an approved prelicensing course of study (see prelicense requirements below)
- Submit fingerprints
- Pass an examination and file a license application
PreLicense Education Requirements (PLE)
Applicants must complete prelicense education (PLE) for each major line of authority (LOA), as follows:
Life – 20
Health – 20
Property – 20
Casualty – 20
Personal Lines – 20
Life, Accident & Health Insurance – 40
Property & Casualty Insurance – 40
State Candidate HandbookBefore making an exam reservation Applicants should thoroughly review the State of Oregon Candidate Information Bulletin, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
PLE Course Delivery
- Prelicense education providers are required to record the actual time the applicant spends in the course and not allow access to the certificate of completion until the applicant's time equals the number of required hours for the LOA.
- Applicants must read each lesson and pass the end-of-chapter quizzes with a 70% or higher to proceed to the next lesson.
PLE Course Exam
- Passing Score: Applicants must pass the PLE final exam with a 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: PreLicense.com final exams are not monitored.
Certificate of Completion
PreLicense.com provides online, printable certificates of completion in Oregon. An applicant must meet Oregon’s PLE requirements before a certificate of completion is issued. Certificates are valid for one year.
State Reporting Requirements
Update: Per OR DOI, electronic uploading will NO LONGER be available. The Oregon Insurance Division has chosen to remain with the current process of candidates providing valid school certificates on the day of testing.
Resident License Application Process
Important: Per the PSI Candidate Handbook, you are required to have, in your possession, a valid school Certificate of Completion before contacting PSI to register and schedule for an examination.
Please note the school code for Prelicense.com is 4060.
1. Prelicense Course: Complete appropriate Prelicensing hours and pass the Prelicense exam.
2. State Exam: The application must be submitted within 12 months of passing the Prelicense exam, or the Prelicense exam must be retaken.
Register and pay for your examination and schedule an appointment to take it:
a. Online: Register by Clicking on 'Schedule a test' and follow the prompts.
b. Register by Phone: (800) 733-9267
Check Test Center Availability By Visiting: https://candidate.psiexams.com/registration/displayagencylicenses_home.jsp
Materials Needed to Present at Exam SiteCandidates must present 2 forms of identification.
One must be government Issued Identification (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport)
- The second form of identification (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card)
- PLE course completion certificate
· Each Exam is presented in a Multiple Choice format
- The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
- Candidates who must retake the examination can do so on an unlimited basis as long as the certificate of completion is still valid.
3. FINGERPRINTING: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT AN ELECTRONIC APPLICATION BEFORE OBTAINING A FAST PASS FINGERPRINT RECEIPT.
- Candidates will be electronically fingerprinted at the PSI testing center on the day of the exam.
- Candidates will pay the fingerprint processing fee, $57.75, at the test site on the day of testing.
- The Finger Print images will be transmitted electronically to the Oregon State Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
- Additional information Refer to the Electronic Fingerprinting Process for detailed instructions / information.
4. ELECTRONIC LICENSE APPLICATION: Click here to submit your license application online – http://www.nipr.com/index.htm
New Resident Producer Requirements
New residents do not need to complete any PLE education or examination requirements as long as they are:
- Applying for the same lines authority as previous home state license and
- The license application is received no more than 90 days after the cancellation of previous home state license and establishment of Oregon residency
Note: For producers who apply for a resident license more than 90 days after establishing legal residence in Oregon, appropriate exams are required. PLE training is required for applicants who have less than 3 years of product experience in the lines applied for.
Ways to Apply
5. Apply Online: Click here to submit your license application online – http://www.nipr.com/index.htm
Oregon Insurance Division requires resident license candidates to submit fingerprints for conducting a state and national fingerprint-based criminal history record. Candidates will be electronically fingerprinted at the PSI testing center on the day of the exam. Fingerprints will be forwarded electronically to the appropriate review agencies. Candidates will pay the fingerprint processing fee, $57.75, at the test site on the day of testing. Fingerprinting is not required for resident licensees adding a line of authority to an existing license. Click here for link to PSI locations offering fingerprint services.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Nonresident license candidates may obtain an Oregon producer license, without having to complete the Prelicense education requirement as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state and hold an equivalent license for same line of authority.
Ways to Apply
Apply Online: Click here to submit your license application online – http://www.nipr.com/index.htm
Materials Needed to Apply
A letter of certification also is required if the producer is not listed on the NAIC Producer Database (PDB) or the license shows as inactive on PDB
There are no fingerprint requirements for nonresidents in Oregon.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Annuity Training: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Long-Term Care: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in Oregon, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.
Purchasing state-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Oregon Insurance Division
350 Winter St NE
Salem, OR 97301-3883
Phone: (800) 733-9267
Web Site http://candidate.psiexams.com/
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.