New Hampshire PreLicensing Requirements
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a license as a resident New Hampshire insurance producer, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a resident of New Hampshire.
- Not have committed any act that is grounds for license denial, suspension, or revocation.
- Pass the license examination as required by state statute.
- Pay the required fees.
License Application Process:
1. Register for State exam: Schedule a State Exam by visiting https://www.prometric.com/en-us/clients/insurance/Pages/newhampshire.aspx or by calling Prometric at (800) 869-6603.
Materials Needed for the Exam: You must present a valid form of identification before you can test. The identification document must:
• Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued identification card or military identification card). • Contain both a current photo and your signature (if not you must present two identification cards: one with your photo and one with your signature).
• Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam (including designations such as “Jr.” and “III”).
• A total score of 70 percent is required to pass
• Prometric electronically notifies the Department of exam results within two business days of the exam date.
2. Apply for your License: After passing the appropriate license exam (if an exam is required), you will need to submit a number of items to the Department depending on the type of license you are seeking. You may obtain a license application from the Producer/Adjuster section of the Department’s website at www.nh.gov/insurance.
If you desire Variable authority, you must supply your CRD number issued by FINRA and hold a Life license.
For information about your exam:
Candidate Handbook—The Licensing Information Booklet is available online from the Prometric Web site.
Exam Content Outline—The Examination Content Outline is available online from the Prometric Web site.
Nonresident Producer Requirements and Process
Applicants who are not residents of New Hampshire but hold one or more similar insurance licenses in their home state may qualify for a New Hampshire nonresident producer’s license without taking a New Hampshire license exam. Applicants wishing to apply for a New Hampshire nonresident producer’s license must apply electronically through the National Insurance Producer Registry (NIPR), an affiliate of the NAIC, at www.nipr.com.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: Before selling, soliciting or negotiating LTC Partnership insurance products in New Hampshire, a producer must be licensed with the Accident and Health or Sickness or Life line of authority; and have completed eight (8) hours of approved initial LTCP training. The satisfaction of these training requirements in any state shall be deemed to satisfy the training requirements in New Hampshire.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
State of New Hampshire Insurance Department
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 14
Concord, NH 03301