Montana PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Montana insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be a resident of Montana
- Be appointed as a producer by an authorized insurer
- Be competent, trustworthy and of good reputation
- Have experience or training or be otherwise qualified in the kind(s) of insurance for which he/she is to be licensed and be reasonably familiar with the provisions of this code which govern his/her operations as a producer
- Pass the license examination
- Submit fingerprints
- File a license application
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the Montana Insurance Candidate Handbook, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Applicants must read each lesson before they can proceed to the next lesson.
- Passing Score: PreLicense.com suggests students pass PreLicense.com' Practice exam with a score of 75% or higher.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: The Practice exam does not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
The Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance does not require a PLE certificate of completion.
State Reporting Requirements
The Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance does not require PLE course completions to be reported.
License Application Process:
1. Make an Exam Reservation: You can make a reservation online by visiting www.pearsonvue.com or by calling Pearson VUE at (800) 274-8906.
Materials Needed to Apply:
Candidates must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The name on the identification must exactly match the name on the registration. The primary identification must be government-issued and photo-bearing with a signature, and the secondary identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
- The passing score required on each exam is 75%.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
2. Make a fingerprint reservation: Fingerprints are required for all residents. Fingerprints are valid for 12 months. The fee for digital fingerprinting is $48.75, and includes the state DOJ and FBI check fees. Candidates must first call Pearson VUE to make their exam registration. After scheduling the examination, you must contact IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA who provides a digital fingerprinting service to schedule a fingerprinting session. You can contact IdentoGO By MorphoTrust USA at 1-866-761-8069, or, https://pearsonwest.ibtfingerprint.com.
3. Apply for a license: Apply online at www.nipr.com. After passing the examination, apply for your license by contacting the Montana Insurance. For more information regarding obtaining a license go to http://csimt.gov/insurance/licensing
New Resident Producer Requirements
Candidates moving to Montana wishing to qualify for a Montana license without taking an examination must meet the following requirements:
- Currently licensed for the same line of authority in another state or
- License application is received within 90 days of cancellation of former home state license and license was in good standing in that state at time of cancellation
Click here for the Uniform Application for Individual Producer License/Registration
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Non-residents may apply by reciprocity and are exempt from the examination requirement, as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state.
Apply using the Uniform Application for Individual Producer License/Registration
Fingerprints are not required for non-resident applicants in Montana.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: Before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTC insurance products in Montana, producers must complete an initial 8-hour, state-approved LTC training course.
Purchasing state-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Montana Commissioner of Securities and Insurance
840 Helena Avenue
Helen, MT 59601
Phone: (406) 444-2040
Fax: (406) 444-3497
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 274-8906
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.