Missouri PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Missouri state insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be trustworthy and competent
- Pass the licensing exam required by the state
- Submit license application
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the Missouri Insurance Candidate Handbook, which contains the exam content outline and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Applicants must read each lesson before they can proceed to the next lesson.
- Passing Score: PreLicense.com suggests students pass PreLicense.com's Practice exam with a score of 70% or higher.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: The Practice exam does not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
The Missouri Department of Insurance does not require a PLE certificate of completion.
State Reporting Requirements
The Missouri Department of Insurance does not require PLE course completions to be reported.
License Application Process:
1. Make State Exam reservation: Apply online at www.pearsonvue.com or by phone at 866-274-4740 with Pearson VUE.
Materials Needed to Apply:
Candidate must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The name on the identification must exactly match the name on the registration. The primary identification must be government issued, photo-bearing with a signature and the secondary identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
2. Apply for a license: After passing the examination, apply for your license by contacting the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions and Professional Registration at www.insurance.mo.gov.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Nonresident license candidates may obtain a Missouri producer license, without having to complete a license examination in Missouri.
Ways to Apply
Materials Needed to Apply
Nonresident applicants will need to forward the following materials to the Missouri Department of Insurance:
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: A producer may not sell, solicit, or negotiate a qualified LTC Partnership Plan unless he or she is licensed for both life and health and has completed an initial 8-hour training course pre-approved by the Missouri Department of Insurance, Financial Institutions, and Professional Regulation (DIFP).
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Missouri Department of Insurance
Financial Institutions and Professional Registration
P.O. Box 65102-4001
Jefferson City, MO
Web Site: www.pearsonvue.com/mo/insurance
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements