PreLicense.com provides state-approved Kentucky PreLicense License Exam Prep with a money back guarantee! Satisfy ALL your Prep requirements at one low price with our online or paper courses!
Kentucky PreLicense Prep
Kentucky PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Kentucky state insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Maintain a principal place of residence or a principal place of business in Kentucky
- Not have committed any act that is a ground for denial, suspension or revocation of a license
- Complete an approved prelicensing course of study (see prelicense requirements below)
- Pass a written examination
- Apply for a criminal background report
- File a license application
PreLicense Education Requirements (PLE)
Applicants must complete prelicensing education (PLE) for each major line of authority (LOA), as follows:
Life – 20
Health – 20
Property – 20
Casualty – 20
Personal Lines – 20
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Applicants should thoroughly review the Kentucky Department of Insurance licensing examination instructions and the exam content outlines which contains important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
PLE Course Delivery
Per Kentucky PLE requirements, applicants are required to complete all of the lessons in the prelicense education course sequentially before they can be issued a certificate of completion.
PLE Course Exam
- Passing Score: Applicants must pass the PLE final exam with a 70% or higher to receive a certificate of completion.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: PreLicense.com final exams do not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
Please note: If you do not complete these steps, the Department of Insurance (DOI) will not receive the official copy of your background check and you will need to re-apply for a new report. Online requests are processed within two business days of being received. According to AOC, the current processing time for background requests submitted on a paper form is 21 days.
- PreLicense.com provides online, printable certificates of completion in Kentucky. An applicant must meet Kentucky’s PLE requirements before a certificate of completion is issued. Certificates of completion are valid for 1 year.
- For quicker license application processing candidates should either fax a copy of their certificate of completion to the Kentucky Department of Insurance Agent Licensing section at 502-564-3384 or email to [email protected]. Important! Certificates of completion must be signed before sending to the Kentucky Department of Insurance.
State Reporting Requirements
Prelicense.com reports PLE course completions electronically to the Kentucky Department of Insurance daily.
License Application Process
( Resident Producer Requirements)
1. Prelicense Education: Complete 20 hours of pre-licensing training for each major line of authority.
2. Prelicense Certificate: Upon completion of the courses, fax or email the Certificate of Completion form, Form CPL-01, to Agent Licensing.
3. Apply for criminal background: Online at AOC Fast Check The cost is $20, payable by credit card or electronic check. Fee is non-refundable.
According to the Administrative Office of the Courts, the processing time for background requests submitted on a paper form currently has a 21-day processing time.
4. License Application: Complete and submit the electronic application through www.nipr.com.
5. Financial Responsibility: File proof of financial responsibility (legal liability) with the Department of Insurance.
6. Schedule Exam: Once we have received and processed all requested information, you may track the status of the application and schedule your examination through Agent Licensing FAQ’s, revised 06/09/2010 Page 2 a secure eServices account. https://insurance.ky.gov/eservices/default.aspx .
- Paper applications are processed within five to seven business days from the day of receipt in the DOI.
- Licensing exams are provided by the Kentucky Department of Insurance. After you have received notification that your application has been processed, schedule your examination online by setting up an eServices account at https://insurance.ky.gov/eservices?.
7. Print Your License
Bring a current form of government-issued photo ID.
You will be required to present a notarized copy of your pre-licensing education Certificate of Completion at the exam.
- Report to the test center at least 10 minutes before your scheduled exam.
- Exam results are provided at the testing site, and may be printed from eServices.
- An applicant may test an unlimited number of times within 120-day timeline. The expiration date may be found in eServices, and is listed on the initial examination notice.
- There is an examination fee of $50 for each scheduled retake of an examination.
- Changes to exam appointments should be made 24 business hours prior to the scheduled time; failure to give 24-hour notice of cancellation may result in the forfeiture of the $50 examination fee.
Once the test results have been submitted, login to your eServices account at https://insurance.ky.gov/eservices to print off your license.
New Resident Producer Requirements
New residents who still hold an active license in their previous home state will not be required to complete prelicensing education or take the license examination as long as:
- The license being applied for is the same line of authority as in the previous state
- The change is within 90 days of surrender of previous resident state license
- Apply for a criminal background report online
- File proof of financial responsibility
- Complete Form 8301 (no fees are required if you currently hold a Kentucky non-resident license)
- Criminal background check: Click here to submit your criminal background check online. The fee for the background report is $15.00. When ordering the background check, select "licensing" in the category section and "department of insurance" in the group section. After you receive your background report, fax a copy to the Kentucky Department of Insurance Agent Licensing section at 502-564-3384 or email to [email protected]. Background reports are valid for 60 days from the date of issue.
Note: If applying for a resident license after 90 days of a surrender of previous resident state license, there is no exemption from pre-licensing and examination in Kentucky.
Materials Needed to Apply
If you answered “yes” to any of the license application background questions, you may need to forward additional documentation to the Kentucky Department of Insurance at:
Kentucky Department of Insurance
P. O. Box 517
Frankfort, Kentucky 40602-0517
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Nonresident license candidates may obtain a Kentucky agent license, without having to complete the prelicensing education requirement or take a license examination, as long as they a currently hold an active license in their resident state for the same lines of authority for which they are applying.
Ways to Apply
There are no fingerprint requirements in Kentucky.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Annuity Training: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, or negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products. *Residents who satisfy the training requirements of another state that are similar to the Kentucky law will be deemed compliant for the Kentucky requirement.
Long-Term Care: All Kentucky producers who sell, solicit, or negotiate LTC partnership policies must complete 8 hours of state-approved Kentucky LTCP training before selling, soliciting, or negotiating LTCP policies.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Kentucky Department of Insurance
P.O. Box 517
Frankfort, Kentucky 40602-0517
Email: [email protected]
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.
Filing a Compliant with the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education
To file a complaint with the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education, each person filing must submit a completed “Form to File a Complaint” (PE-24) to the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary Education by mail to Capital Plaza Tower, Room 302, 500 Mero Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40601. This form can be found on the website at www.kcpe.ky.gov.
Student Protection Fund
KRS 165A.450 requires each school licensed by the Kentucky Commission on Proprietary to contribute to a Student Protection Fund which will be used to pay off debt incurred due to the closing of a school, discontinuance of a program, loss of license, or loss of accreditation by a school or program. To file a claim against the Student Protection Fund, each person filing must submit a completed “Form for Claims Against the Student Protection Fund”. This form can be found on the website at www.kcpe.ky.gov.