District of Columbia PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer RequirementsTo qualify for a resident District of Columbia insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Maintain principal place of residency or business in District of Columbia
- Pass the license examination
- Complete a criminal background check
- File a license application and remit filing fees
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the District of Columbia Insurance Candidate Handbook, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Applicants must read each lesson before they can proceed to the next lesson.
- Passing Score: PreLicense.com suggests students pass PreLicense.com's Practice exam with a score of 75% or higher.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: The Practice exam does not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
The District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking does not require a PLE certificate of completion.
State Reporting Requirements
The District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking does not require PLE course completions to be reported.
License Application process:
1. Register for the State exam:
Candidates must go to www.pearsonvue.com/dc/insurance to make an online reservation for an examination or by calling (800) 274-0610.
Materials to bring at the Testing site:
- Candidates must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The primary identification must be government-issued and photo-bearing with a signature and the secondary identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
- Candidates must also bring a copy of a marriage certificate or divorce decree if name has legally changed from what is shown on identification.
- The passing score required on each exam is 70.
- When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
2. Fingerprinting Requirements:
An applicant who passes the examination and/or completes an application to become a resident DC Insurance Producer must submit to fingerprinting and a background check through the DC Metropolitan Police Department prior to being granted a license. To schedule fingerprinting and background check please contact Zadie Bowles via e-mail at [email protected] to schedule an appointment for fingerprinting.
3. Apply for a license
Apply electronically on line at www.nipr.com
New Resident Producer Requirements
Candidates moving to District of Columbia wishing to qualify for a District of Columbia license without taking an examination must meet the following requirements:
- Currently licensed for same line of authority in another state or
- License application is received within 90 days of cancellation of former home state license and licensee was in good standing in that state at time of cancellation.
Apply Online: Click here to apply for a resident insurance license online
District of Columbia requires that candidates submit to fingerprinting and a background check through the DC Metropolitan Police Department. Click here for more instructions.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Non-residents may apply by reciprocity and are exempt from the examination requirement, as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state.
Apply Online: The District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking will only accept electronic license applications. Click here to apply online.
Fingerprints are not required for non-resident applicants in District of Columbia.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Annuity Training: All producers currently licensed to sell, solicit, and negotiate annuity products must complete a one-time annuity training course approved for at least 4 hours prior to selling, soliciting, or negotiating such products.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
District of Columbia Department of Insurance, Securities and Banking
810 First Street, NE, Suite 701
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 727-8000
Fax: (202) 535-1196
Email: [email protected]
Web site: http://disb.dc.gov/page/insurance
Phone: (800) 274-0610
Web site: http://www.pearsonvue.com/dc/insurance/
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.