Delaware PreLicensing Requirements
Individual Resident Producer Requirements
To qualify for a resident Delaware insurance producer license, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Maintain principal place of residency or business in Delaware
- Pass the license examination
- Complete a criminal background check
- File a license application and remit filing fees
State Candidate Handbook
Before making an exam reservation Candidates should thoroughly review the Delaware Insurance Candidate Handbook, which contains the exam content outlines and important information regarding eligibility and the examination and licensing application process.
Applicants must read each lesson before they can proceed to the next lesson.
- Passing Score: PreLicense.com suggests students pass PreLicense.com's Practice exam with a score of 75% or higher.
- Exam Proctor Requirements: The Practice exam does not require a proctor.
Certificate of Completion
The Delaware Insurance Department does not require a PLE certificate of completion.
License Application Process:
1. Make State exam reservation: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/de/insurance/ or by calling (800-274-0455). Register at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check.
Materials Needed to Apply:
Candidates must present two (2) forms of current signature identification. The primary identification must be government-issued and photo-bearing with a signature and the secondary identification must contain a valid signature. Identification must be in English.
- Candidates must pass the state licensing exam with a 70% or higher
- When candidates complete the examination, they will receive a score report marked “pass” or “fail.”
Candidates who must retake the exam will need to wait 24 hours before rescheduling. Candidates are only required to retake the portion of the exam they failed. All portions of the exam must be passed within 1 year.
2. Background check: Delaware requires that candidates obtain a criminal background report from the Delaware State Police. Please click here for registration.
- For locations and fees, please contact the DE State Police at 302-739-2528.
- Candidates will need to fax their criminal background report to the Delaware Insurance Department at 302-736-7906.
3. Apply for a license: After passing the examination, apply for your license by contacting the State of Delaware Department of Insurance. For more information regarding obtaining a license go to www.delawareinsurance.gov.
New Resident Producer Requirements
If you are moving to Delaware and wish to qualify for a Delaware license without taking an examination, you must apply for your license within 90 days of the date your previous home state license was terminated.
Applicants who are currently licensed as a non-resident in Delaware will only need to complete a Form 2C change of address. This will need to be completed within 90 days from the date you move to Delaware.
Nonresident Producer Requirements
Non-residents may apply by reciprocity and are exempt from the examination requirement, as long as they are currently licensed as a resident and in good standing in their home state.
· Apply Online: The Delaware Insurance Department will only accept electronic license applications. Click here to apply online.
State-Required Product Training
Your state has special training requirements in order for licensed agents to sell the following products:
Long-Term Care: All Delaware health producers who solicit LTC policies must complete at least 3 hours of state-approved Delaware LTC training during the 2-year license term in which the product is solicited. This requirement does not need to be met prior to solicitation of the product.
Purchasing State-required Product Training with your exam prep course from the PreLicense.com catalog will allow you to take one of the special training requirement courses from WebCE. Additional fees for state filing, books or shipping may apply at the time you register to begin taking the product training course.
Click here for more information regarding state-specific product training.
Delaware Insurance Department
841 Silver Lake Blvd.
Dover, DE 19904
Phone: (302) 674-7390
Fax: (302) 736-7906
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (800) 274-0455
The licensing information presented here is a brief summary only and is not intended to be comprehensive or complete. We urge you to check with your state's insurance department for complete and current information about its licensing rules and requirements.